Friday, August 3, 2012


The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13  3/4 by Sue Townsend 

aka
I can't believe I didn't know you before.

I just finished reading the first part of the Adrian Mole’s diaries. I know, where was I for the past 20 years, right? I guess I was hidden in the land of compulsory school readings and academic papers, which I both love, don’t get me wrong.  I still read all Harry Potters books throughout my high school and college years. I also read many classics and overhyped new novels. Loved them, like every decent person would, but I missed on Adrian Mole, which is surprising, but – on the other hand- very lucky of me.

So many books deal with deep, meaningful topics. Topics that change your overall view on the world, that show you the other sides of our boring, day to day existence. And that’s good. Books are supposed to teach us and bring us to places and times that we could not have reached if it wasn’t for them (often simply because those places do not exist our dimension). Yet, sometimes I do wander if it’s not just an easier way out. However strongly you might disagree, I believe that it is easier to create a whole imaginary world and imaginary characters than to describe an average, boring Joe who needs to face the problems that we all do in a way that makes it impossible to put the book down.

Adrian Mole, the main character of a series of books written by Sue Townsend, the rest of them is already packed in a box with my address on it, waiting to be brought to my house by a mailman. They all tell the life story of Adrian Mole, a young, English boy, whose life is full of smaller and bigger annoyances, most of them caused by his “funky” family and the fact that he is a (self-described) intelligent. Adrian, amazing Adrian, writes about his life in his journal that we are allowed to look into. He has a dog, he has a girl he fancies and he has a life that makes us feel so much better  with the fact that our boss forgot our name again.

“The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole” is a book that made me look silly in bus nr 111. Nobody likes a freak who giggles on her way to work. But the book is funnier than all the good TV shows that are on. Seriously, I stopped watching all the shows I love just so that I can finish the book. You start – you can’t stop. I recommend, strongly.  And can’t wait to read all the other ones. I’m sure his life went great from now on…
The time before the mailman comes is filled with “The Hunger games”. Yes, I’m behind again.

2 comments:

  1. I cracked up on these as well, even though at times I had no idea what they were talking about. Enjoy the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got the rest of the books today! They're all already packed in my suitcase. Adrian seams like a perfect Holiday match:)

    ReplyDelete